Thursday, July 17, 2008

Not Mr. Beans Holiday

I watched a great movie last night. If you’ve never heard of “In Bruges,” I wouldn’t be surprised. It seems to have had very little if any promotion since its Sundance debut. I’d never heard of it and probably never would have if I hadn’t come home to find it sitting on our coffee table. Only complete boredom would tempt me to open up a DVD case prominently picturing Colin Farrell holding a gun (flashbacks of “Phonebooth” anyone?). Anyhow, the movie stars Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson as two hit men sent to take some time off in Bruges, Belgium. Half comedy, half drama, the film perfectly balances European wit and sarcasm with themes of faith and morality. Of course, sightseeing along the canals doesn’t last for long, and the plot begins to unfold (in a revealing one “oooh” and “aaah” after another kind of way). I only expected to watch half of this movie, as I got a late start and work the next morning loomed over my head. However, when it was past my bedtime, I couldn’t bring my fingers anywhere near the remote. The relationship between Farrell and Gleeson’s characters will truly pull you in as they clue you into their running jokes and show glimpses of compassion unexpected from two movie screen murderers. Alongside this compelling central relationship, Ralph Fiennes pops in and out as Harry, the “voice from behind the curtain” character who delivers instructions and holds the power. Additionally, you’ll find a decent romantic interest and some surprisingly tasteful laughs owed to midget humor. “In Bruges” is one rude film (in a completely amazing and lovable Irish sort of way). Go rent it, if you don’t like it…I suggest immediately watching “Vantage Point.” (then you’ll be begging for the former)

No comments: