Monday, July 14, 2008

Any Excuse for a Party


Given that the name of our lovely blog is in French, I thought I'd remind everyone that today is Bastille Day! (I only ever remember this because it also happens to be my father's birthday). After exclaiming several "Happy Bastille Day"s this morning in the office, someone countered my intelligence by asking what the holiday was for. Since Hilary is of course the true Frenchster, I had no idea. All I knew was that the French study abroad students that I met while studying in Spain were outraged when classes were held on Bastille Day. Oh the drama!

Anyhow, now that I'm safe in my cubicle where no one can question my sources, I have wikipedia'd the holiday and found that

"Bastille Day is the French national holiday, celebrated on 14 July each year. In France, it is called Fête Nationale ("National Celebration"), in official parlance, or more commonly quatorze juillet ("14 July"). It commemorates the 1790 Fête de la Fédération, held on the first anniversary of the storming of the Bastille on 14 July 1789; the anniversary of the storming of the Bastille was seen as a symbol of the uprising of the modern French nation, and of the reconciliation of all the French inside the constitutional monarchy which preceded the First Republic, during the French Revolution."

In the words of Bill Nye the Science Guy...NOW YOU KNOW,
and now LETSCELEBRATEEEE! Oh wait, I don't get off work for another 4 1/2 hours.